I came across a link to Writeroom today. Apparently it is an application designed to give you:
- A full-screen window with a minimalistic text-editor
- No weird widgets, buttons or paperclips
- No automatic spelling and grammar corrections
- Menu-bars that only appear when you need them
- Support for different kinds of cursors. The standard mouse-cursor, a blinking/non-blinking bar and so on
- It runs either standalone or as part of other applications
- Saves to plain-text
- Choose your own fonts and colours!! ZOMG!
But wait, this sounds familiar right? I’m writing this in my favorite editor in my favorite terminal. Let’s see: A full-screen window and minimalistic text-editor? check. No widgets? check. No interference from spelling bees? check. No menu-bars unless you need them? check. Different cursors? check. Standalone and embedable? check. Saves to plain-text? check. Support for different fonts and colours? check.
Oh, and it’s free too!
Those who don’t know UNIX are doomed to reinvent it — badly